April 27, 2007

The More the Merrier

I have discovered that I really enjoy having a mess of kids over at my house. I enjoy being the house the kids come to in order to play. And I definately find it is easier to have a bunch than just one at a time. My kids get along with a variety of ages and genders and enjoy playing in groups. As they get older I also let them have some time alone with their particular friend - but still including each other is a general rule at our house and it is not optional.

Yesterday we had four friends join us and the kids ranged from 8 to 3 and they played together in groups, in pairs and in different aged groups at times. Sirah ran with the 6 and 7 year old boys as easily as she made pixie dust with the 7 and 8 year old girls and played with her own little 4 year old friend. When we went to the park the 7 and 3 year old were swinging partners on the tire swing so you never know.

I enjoy having all the kids over because it is fun to get to know my kids friends and it encourages me to spend more time outside. The kids are generally happy and entertained and easier to manage. I am learning what kinds of food to have on hand and how to manage the choas but in general I think it is fun. I asked Mamadala for advice - she starts with 6 kids and often has that many more over at a time. So I figure I can learn from her. Another friend of mine shared with me yesterday that her neighbor came over one day and said "Do you realize you have 16 kids in your yard?" and her response was "16, really is that all today?"

So the more the merrier, after all it makes them happier and makes it more fun and in so many ways easier. We can play more games and do more fun outside things with a big group of kids then we can with just one additional friend over. Also there is way less fighting with more kids over than with just one child having a special friend over. So let em all come and play.

My neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment