April 10, 2010

Destination Unknown

I have always loved road trips.  I think a lot of it goes back to debate days for me and spending so much time on the road.  I love seeing our country and having nothing to think or worry about other than the trucks and cars  passing me by.  When I am the passenger I don't even need to worry about those things.  Put on some good tunes and just sit back and watch the world pass me by.  It is a fabulous time to reflect on my life and gain some perspective on my small place in this big country which is only a small part of this world.

Serona and I decided to take a vacation away just the two of us, with no plans.  We got in the car and just started driving like the song "The Way" by Fastball.  It felt good to have no destination or even a plan.  We simply choose a road and a direction and drove until we found a place we wanted to stop.  This is very freeing I must admit, a relaxing way to vacation if you are fairly flexible.  You can always keep driving until you find something that meets your needs.

We had some great talk in the car about our lives right now and where we want to be in the next year and few years.  We discussed and evaluated several areas of our life, marriage, parenting, schooling etc and it was nice to do it while driving through the country.  I appreciate this time alone and away with just Serona.  Any parent of young children understands what a treat and rarity this is.

I am glad we are road tripping, just us, some favorite tunes from the years, and the road and landscape around us.  It is a very relaxing way to spend a vacation with no destination or schedule in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment