January 23, 2006

Coming Out of the Closet

Okay it is time I come out and admit something. I am a country music fan. I have been in the closet for awhile about this. I will admit I used to hate country music. I used to think of it in this way, something I have actually said.

"You know why I don't like country music? Because if you play it backwards you get your dog back, you get your house back, you get your wife back, you get your life back, and you are still drinking all the while through."

That is what I thought of country music for the longest time and I resisted it for years and years. So why the change in me? Because I love folk music and I love songwriters. Two of my favorite musicians are Dan Fogelberg and Pink Floyd. An unusual combination I will admit but they are both storytellers with powerful lyrics and interesting music, but the focus is definitely on the story they are telling.

-When I took the time to listen to it, right after 9-11 when my soul was searching for something to express the depth of pain and anger I was feeling there were some songs by Alan Jackson, Lonestar and Daryl Worley that really seemed to hit my emotions. But I never wanted to admit to myself that I was enjoying country music. Partly because of the stereotypes I bought into and partly because of all the horrible things I had said in the past (did not feel like eating more words). Also Serona would have teased me endlessly.

Well a few months ago I started listening more because a song on the radio would catch my attention and then I wanted to know more. I was listening to it on the sly as Serona would say for a few months and then one day I just fessed up and preprogrammed the country station in my car and saved country playlists in our musicmatch subscription.

I've even been brave and played some songs for Serona. While he is not a country fan there is an occasional song he can find value in like "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" by Toby Keith. So there it is the truth is out. I like country music because it is real music, it is honest and it tells great stories. It is music that reaches into my heart and has even made me cry from time to time
-Skin, Sarabeth by the Rascal Flatts
Letters from War
-He Didn't Have to Be - Brad Paisley
_There Goes my Life - Kenny Chesney


It is modern day folk music. So there I have admitted it. Some bands and musicians I have been recently enjoying are Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, Darryl Worley, Sara Evans, Allison Krauss, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride and Lonestar.

Peace,
Tenn

4 comments:

  1. Me too! Almost word for word, I could tell the same story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:39 PM

    Country music is more the music of the person who will live and love without the notice of the world, but with the love of their family. I enjoy the music too, for its poetry and genuineness. From Allison Krauss to Alan Jackson the music and lyrics make me smile and cry.
    How about this for a song title; "Can I Love my Mother-in-Law if She Loves Country Music?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The really great ones are the singer/songwriters - Don Williams and Ian Tyson immediately come to mind - there are more, but it's very late and the brain turned off a while ago.

    Ah, well, welcome out of the closet - you've walked into a friendly room, ya know. ;-)

    Dy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:43 AM

    Hey, me too. And dh, although a hardcore rock fan and guitar freak, has admitted lately that a lot of the best guitar playing is coming from country music lately.

    ReplyDelete