April 12, 2007

Three of Everything?

I always thought I would not be one of those moms who bought three of everything to keep the peace. There are somethings I still don't buy one of everything for each of them and they simply have to share and others I have just learned are worth the extra cost and space. We have general use crayons, markers, pencils and colored pencils but they fight over them or don't want to use them. This Christmas they all got some variation of the 80 piece art set with watercolors, pastels, colored pencils, markers, crayons, etc in its own carrying case. They love them. When it is art time they each get their own and I have repeats of everything on the table but they keep them neat, clean up after themselves and don't argue. Now who is going to argue with that. At first I thought it was the novelty but now 4 months into it and the results are the same. So as long as this works each kid gets their own art set at the beginning of the school year. Can't buy peace for that cheap.

Some other things I will concede is worth having one for everyone. Own watercolor sheet pad, own sketch notebook, own popcorn bowl (we now have cute tins they really like), own wireless remote controller for gamecube (wow how many fights stopped when we had more than one!), own basket of candy and three rollers for play dough. Just about everything else they have to share. I''ll make those small concessions to keep the peace and let them have their own "special" things.

No comments:

Post a Comment