February 23, 2006

Find the Sleeping Child

This could easily be a game to play in our home between the hours of midnight and 6am. The thing is the answers would keep changing. If you played right now you would find one asleep on a couch cushion on the living room floor, one asleep on a siblings floor and one in her own bed. If you played a few hours ago, one was downstairs asleep and two were in their own respective beds. If you play again in about three hours I would put my odds on all in MY bed with me sleeping on the couch to escape the knees in my ribs, foot on my face and fingerpokes in my back.

I love my family and I love that we are all close and that sleep is a fluid flexible thing that has to do with wanting to be near each other. Somedays though it is interesting where you can find a child. We used to often find baby Sirah curled up on the floor outside her bedroom door with the dogs! I think it would be easier to count the nights I have not had a child come into and sleep atleast part of the night in my room, rather than the nights this has happened.


"So let them be little 'cause they're only that way for a while
Give them hope, give them praise, give them love every day
Let them cry, let them giggle, let them sleep in the middle
Oh just let them be little"
-Lonestar


Someday in the not too distant future I will want these days back so I am just storing it up for those moments I need to remember it and letting the kids feel loved now. Someday they will all want their own room instead of Ciaran who nows think it is supremely unfair that he has to sleep alone when everyone else has a roomate.

Peace,
Tenniel

No comments:

Post a Comment