February 18, 2006

I am a geek

But you already knew that :) Seriously I am a technology geek. I did not used to be. I have always been comfortable with technology but Serona has turned me into an early adopter. We have tried many technologies earlier than most. My recent one, a personal home barcode scanner. I actually asked for this for Christmas and received it from my parents. Most people ask for normal things, I on the other hand do not.

I have been using it for two months now and I love it. What does one use a personal barcode scanner for you are wondering? To scan books of course, lots and lots of books, of which we have plenty here. I use my Flic Barcode Scanner in conjunction with my home library catloguing software, Book Collectorz to catalog both our home library and all its contents and our school and monthly reading.

Regular readers may have noticed a change in the format of my book lists. That is because I am no longer typing them all out by hand. Now I simply scan them and then export the data from my software to blogger. It is wonderful and easy, though the format is a little less nice I will admit.

I recommend both that scanner and the software I really think it makes my life easier and more organized. If of course you are a geek like me and read this post and found it interesting and not just bizarre!

Peace,
Tenn

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like something I would love. Question...do you use it with library books and how?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do use it with library books. Most library books still have a barcode on the back and if they do not then I can always hand type the UPC code in still faster than typing all the information in.

    I keep seperate databases (a feature of the software) so I have one catalog for our home library and another for each months reading, which includes our own books as well as the library books.

    ReplyDelete