May 14, 2007

Lessons from my Other Mothers


Yesterday you read my post about my own mother and the many ways she has blessed me - I have a few other "mothers" that I would like to thank and share some of what they have given me. For we all are blessed with one mother who births us and for many of us raises and loves us. Still we are also often blessed with other motherly women who help make us into who we become. This post is about a few of them for me.

Mom-in-Love
I call her mom but I made it clear that she is not my mother in law but my mother in love because it was my love for her son and then his whole family that brought us together as family. I am blessed with a very special mom-in-love and we have a great relationship. A few of the gifts and lessons she has passed on to me

My wonderful husband trained to be a godly husband and father

An example of how to be a godly wife and mother

The conversation that passed on the wisdom to let God choose my friends instead of me

The freedom of her love and acceptance of who I am and how we live our lives and raise our kids even if she might disagrees (I've never known it if she has)

The strength to accept my flaws for what they are and strive to improve them

Her daily prayers since Serona was a child (a truly cherished gift)



Grandmothers

My grandmothers were also a blessing to me through my life. From the two of them I learned many important lessons and life skills.

A strong faith that trusts in God even when times are tough.

A willingness to persevere and be a strong woman even when alone.

A love and appreciation for culture and fine arts.

A safe place to come to no matter my circumstances and open arms to love me.

A generation of family to love me and care for me

Holidays, traditions and an important sense of family ties.

My aunt-mothers
Many of us have aunts, some we know more than others, some we spend more time with than others. I was raised with aunts who were and are an important part of my life. Even though we live far apart and the time between seeing each other grows I know they are always there for me and we pick up as natural as can be when we are together. Growing up I spent a lot of time with my aunts and they blessed me in many ways.

The gift of many arms to hug me, ears to listen to me, and mouths to offer wisdom to me.

The variety of experiences and different life choices and the wisdom that comes from seeing love for family lived out in so many different ways.

The commitment to family and tradition and the glue that binds us together.

Regular time together that built trust, love and as I grew older friendship.

Many cousins to extend my sibling circle as we spent so much time together. Without sisters I especially enjoyed my girl cousins and the time we shared together.

An acceptance of me for who I am whether or not that has agreed with them. The ability to tease in love but encourage and support one another in our dreams no matter if they intersect.

Forgiveness for moving so far away and starting a mass exodus of sorts of other family members. Still loving me though I don't move back to NY.


These women have taught me so many things and I have become who I am today in part because of each of them and the way they love and cherish me, the lessons I have learned from them, and the gifts they have granted me.

When you look at me today you would certainly see a strong reflection of my own mother and the many influences she has had on my life. But you will also see pieces of these women as well and of the many other people who I have learned from, men and women alike. Thank you to each of you who has been a part of my life and helped me become the woman I am today and the woman I will one day become.

Many thanks and blessings,
Tenniel

No comments:

Post a Comment