April 25, 2004

Disciplined Life

I used to believe that balance was key to a happy and productive life. The older I get the more I realize that discipline is they key to balance. I need to be more disciplined with myself in a variety of areas of life: household responsibilities, finances, relationships, time management, eating habits, exercise and finances. It is not that these are out of control for me or my family - it is that they could always stand some improving and I am finally admitting I need to be more disciplined.

This is not an easy admission for me to make as I am a laid back easy-going person who often resists structures. But I am finally coming to realize that as the family grows we all do much better with some basic structure and discipline in our lives. we are all more at peace when the house is clean. The kids respond better when they can anticipate what is coming next. I will feel better when I am at a healthy weight which requires eating and exercise discipline. The bottom line I need to just stop talking about it and do it better.

I know what I need to do and it starts with going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. Two things I have resisted my whole life. It includes regular household chore schedules and more routines during each day. It requires a commitment to more exercise and healthier eating habits. For me it also includes a daily quiet time and limiting time I do things I enjoy (such as blogging).

I know I need to do it in babysteps and for me that means living with my timer and remembering I can do anything for 15 minutes. It is often stopping after 15 minutes that is harder for me.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment