May 3, 2005

Monkey Dancing

No it is not a new fad, wouldn't that be funny? It is the title of the book I just finished reading. The book Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids, and a Journey to the Ends of the Earth by Daniel Glick was certainly an interesting read. I enjoyed it so much I read the entire 340 pages in less than a week and I actually only read this one book during that time (a rarity for me)instead of my usual three or four at a time.

Talk about the ultimate field trip! My desire has been to rent or buy an RV and spend a year field tripping across the US, camping in various cities taking in the natural resources, culture and cities. This father took it to a whole other level. He took his 13 year old son and 9 year old daughter on a "Free Trip Around the World". Glick wanted his children to experience first hand some of the beauty of nature and animals that are endangered or near extinct. He wanted to give them an appreciation for the interconnectness of it all. He also wanted time for his family to bond and be together to heal from some recent challenging events in their lives.

The book details in depth their visit to The Great Barrier Reef in Australia, seeing the Orangutans in Borneo, looking for Rhinos and riding elephants in Nepal, visits to Bali, Vietnam, and many interesting locations around the world. His writing style is engaging and interesting if at sometimes crass.

His love for his children comes through strong even if some of his choices simply baffled me and I could never do. I still aprreciated his honesty and opening up his life and their amazing journey for me to read.

An excellent read for homeschooling parents - though you may find yourself wanting to save up your life-savings to take a trip such as this. I can only imagine what the cost of 6 months around the world for a family of three would be? His family is truly blessed and I am blessed for being able to read his experiences.

I was able to put aside the political opinions, strange parenting choices and foul language and truly enjoy the book. If you think you can do the same then I highly recommend the book.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment