January 5, 2005

The Aviator Movie Review

I don't typically do movie reviews, though by request I reviewed The Polar Express not too long ago. Yet I recently saw The Aviator.

I must admit being neither a Leonardo DiCaprio or Martin Scorsese fan I really had little interest in seeing it. I had little to no knowledge of the life of Howard Hughes and the topic was of little interest to me. Yet a friend wanted to see it and I was actually up for seeing a movie so off I went.

I was very pleasantly surprised. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and could hardly believe that nearly 3 hours had passed since I entered the theater. I came out of the film impressed by the acting job of DiCaprio who had a tough role to play and played it well and curious to learn more about the life of Hughes.

I highly recommend the film and while I am a big advocate of waiting for video I did enjoy seeing this one in the theater and I think the plane scenes make it fun. Cate Blanchett did a great job (as usual) playing Katharine Hepburn and her scenes were fun to watch.

I felt the movie was well acted, well written, well produced and all around a good film. Hughes life (as portrayed) was quite interesting and the movie deals sensitively with his obsessive compulsive behaviors and how those around him dealt with him. I think this is one of the first films I have seen that made me want to go back and find the transcripts or video from a congressional testimony. Go see this movie or at least see it on video.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment