March 13, 2004

Crocheting

My mother has been teaching me to crochet during her visit and I am really enjoying it. I am almost finished with my first project - a scarf for Ciaran. Then I will make another scarf and move on to baby blankets for some friends.

I really enjoy the feeling of productivity that comes with crocheting. I also enjoy the ease of correcting knitting as I watch myself tear out rows of work to correct a mistake. I like that I can get something accomplished while doing other things and with my busy life that I can pick it up and put it down as needed.

I have never been crafty or good with projects like sewing, knitting or making much of anything. My mother is tremendously talented in these areas and she is thankfully a patient teacher who is willing to still teach me - even as an adult. I am thankful for that.

I also think it is good for my kids to see me learning a new skill. To watch how I learn, persistent and deal with the frustrations that go with learning a new skill. I am trying to be a good example to them even in my learning process now.

It is nice to have found a new hobby that I enjoy and feel productive with at the same time. I have my mother and Rhiannon to thank. My mother for teaching and inspiring me. My daughter for leading me to chose to learn now because she wants me to be able to teach her how to do it. Helps me live out my belief that you are never to old to learn something new.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment