March 17, 2004

Lessons My Mother Taught Me

My mother recently visited us for 10 days. It was very nice to see her and spend time together. Distance can be so hard, we had not seen one another for over a year and what a year it was! This was actually the first time my mother was able to see and hold Sirah and Ciaran has changed a lot since the last time she saw him. Rhiannon has grown up some too but the changes are more subtle in her these days. It was nice for us all.

I realized during this visit how much my mother has influenced the person I have become. I can only mention a few ways here yet I know there are so many more. My mother showed me that staying home was a worthwhile goal and an important thing to value. She has always stayed home with all my brothers and I and was there for us. She was always the mom who drove us and all our friends everywhere. My mother gave me a passion for knowledge and a love of reading. She is quite a reader herself and she and my father always made sure we had plenty of books available to us. Reading has always been an important part of my life.

My mother gave me a passion for sharing our family history, inspiring me to keep a written journal to each of my children and that eventually spurred my decision to keep this blog. My mother passed on her talent for storytelling as well. She gave me a tremendous ability for compassion and empathy and gave me an example of how to always put people first in life. My mother taught me generosity as well, she is one of the most generous people that I know.

My mom taught me to stand up for what I believe in - even when it is not easy. I have memories of her activism early on in my life. Whether it was standing up for taxpayers rights, protecting her children, or being my brother's advocate to get him the help he needed - she demonstrated a willingness to stand up for what was right. I have many of those same traits now and have throughout my life.

My mother raised us to be independent and self-sufficient. Sometimes I think she has mixed feelings about this aspect of our family's personality. She is glad that we are independent - but it makes it hard on her when we scattered throughout the country and live in California, Minnesota, and one who keeps moving (besides me) while her and my father stay in New York. She jokes and says she should have taught us like the Truman Show that there is no life across the bridge - so we would all stay nearby. But all in all I know she is proud of us and glad we can and do make our own decisions.

There are so many positive ways my mother (and father) have influenced me and helped shape me into the person I am today. So thank you mom and dad - your influence has served me well and will continue to do so.


Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment