September 15, 2004

A Healthier Mom

I have finally come to appreciate what people have told me for years - that you need to take care of yourself or you are no good to anyone. For about 5 years now I have always put all of my needs behind the needs of everyone else and it has started to wear me down and have negative effects on the whole family. I am trying to rectify that situation by taking positive active steps to a healthier me.

I have begun walking each morning (earlier than I like to admit) for about an hour with a neighbor. I follow that with a shower and some daily quiet time and bible reading and some breakfast - usually all that is accomplished before the kids awake, or atleast before I need to take over sole responsibility for them. Serona has been wonderful in helping me in the mornings.

I am trying to get to bed earlier (though the timestamp shows I'm not always successful here) and to get enough rest. I still try to take naps whenever possible - perhaps getting one or two in during the course of the week.

I've been working on getting us on a routine and trying to stick somewhat to a schedule - not so much a minute by minute one but a set of tasks that need to get done through the course of the day and a general idea of when I will get that done. I'm trying to be more consistent in the time of day I take on certain tasks and helping the kids be the same.

We've streamlined our shopping, cooking, meal planning, bills and nearly everything we can. I am trying to use the same shopping list and rotate through some quick or simple recipes and keep that simple. I have simplified the kids rooms and the school/playroom as much as possible so it is easy for them to help maintain and clean-up. I try to keep on top of things through the day instead of letting it all pile up.

I am making strides in my weight loss - 4 pounds this week and trying to eat healthier and get that exercise in - while not obsessing about it. I'm also trying to set a good example for the kids and help them in that area before it becomes too late.

I'm much more positive in my outlook and trying to be more positive in believing I can get things done and focusing more on the good than the negative. Trying the whole "believe and you have received" and "mind over matter" philosophy.

Overall I feel better. I have ups and I have downs and I stumble but I'm trying to get back up without breaking my momentum and maintain my passion for improving my life and the choices I make. I keep reminding myself that I need to take time to improve me and help me so that I have what I need to fufill my multiple jobs and responsibilities.

That being said it is clearly time for me to be in bed!
Peace,
Tenn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:31 AM

    This is so true! While this isn't nearly as eloquent as your recap of the changes you've made, it does remind me of a saying my mother used often: If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! She meant it as in that she needed to tend to certain things in order to be at peace, and that peace flowed naturally throughout our home. Likewise, when it wasn't flowing, we could all feel it.

    I'm glad you're taking care of yourself- your family needs you to be in top form! :-)

    Dy

    ReplyDelete