October 21, 2004

Date Night

Rhiannon and I had a date night tonight and it was a lot of fun. She really is a wonderful little girl and it was refreshing to just spend some one on one time with her. We started at a doctor's appointment - while we waited she read to me from "One Fish, Two fish, Red fish, Blue fish" by Dr Suess while I worked on a blanket for one of her friends. When we left there we headed over to dinner at Panera Bread. I had a soup bowl and she had grilled cheese and we both had soda - she was so excited!

Then she could choose whatever she wanted. She asked to go to the mall! I felt like she was too young for this. Those of you who know me know I am not a shopper or a mall person - but it was her date. So off to the mall we went. Rhiannon was amazingly considerate when I would ask where to go next she would say you need to make some choices too mom - it's not just about me - it is about us. I thought that was very thoughtful of her.

We walked in and out of little girl stores, looking at dresses, sparkly things and jewelry. We visited the hermit crab booth and she really wanted to take another one home but I stood my ground. We walked around hand in hand and had a lot of fun. She got the giggles something fierce and we skipped, twirled around in the mall and just had a good time. We walked around and around in revolving doors and went on escalators and elevators whenever we could. We were able to talk about a variety of things and just have some special time together.

We ate "Cold Stone Creamery" ice cream - yummy. She had strawberry ice cream with marshmalows, oreos and strawberries. I had vanilla cake ice cream with strawberries and graham cracker pie crust. We sat outside on the curb to eat it - it was a nice yet crisp evening. We went to the bookstore and read some books together. "It's Hard Being Five" by Jamie Lee Curtis and "We Love Ballet" by Jane Feldman. We picked up some tights and skirts for her that were on clearance and she got some princess rings.

I kept her out way too late as it was after 10:30 by the time we got home - but it was so worthwhile and a very important bonding time for the two of us. I highly recommend taking each of your kids out on "dates" from time to time. We try to - each of us with each of the kids and I think it really helps strengthen the relationships and helps you see the unique and special qualities of each of your children.

Peace,
Tenn

2 comments:

  1. Date nights are wonderful! And Panera is just one of the very best yummy places to eat in the world. :-) Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:30 PM

    I just love it when I can take one of my girls on a date! It really fills up the love tank (mine and the girls!)

    Missy (Marsupial Mom)

    ReplyDelete