October 7, 2003

Easy Soup Dinner... As I was preparing this I thought I would share as it is a very easy and tasty dish to make that is healthy and a nice fall meal. We eat it quite a bit during this season and it makes good leftovers. I got this recipe from a woman on a Star Wars message board - she called it one-pot easy soup. Have no idea what to make tonight? Make this. You can prepare it ahead and let it sit in the pot and turn it on a little before you need it or throw it all together and cook or use your crockpot.

Easy One-Pot Soup

1 cup raw brown rice
1 1/2 cup lentils
1 big onion chopped
3 med carrots chopped and peeled
3 stalks celery chopped
4-6 cloves garlic chopped or minced
5 cups water
3 cups broth (I use 8 cups water total)
big can diced tomatoes with juice
1 tsp dried basil, oregeno, thyme - I just dump in, probably more of each, I also add garlic salt and parsley
2 bay leaves (remember to remove them)
salt and pepper to taste
a few minutes from the end add in spinach - can omit this though it is nice

Put in big pot, boil, bring to simmer for 45 minutes until rice and lentils tender. Once done stir in 1tbsp cider vinegar and fresh parsley. This will freeze well and tastes very yummy with a crusty bread.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment