October 27, 2003

What I want my kids to learn... Life in a Nutshell posed an interesting question: "
What is it that you want your DC to know by the time they reach 18, or leave home to go to college or work?"


I posted the following brief answer off the cuff:

I want my children to have a love of learning and a passion for knowledge. I want them to have a strong understanding of right and wrong (ethics, morality, whatever you would like to call it), I want them to have a strong Christian foundation, the ability to communicate clearly, and an ability to find the answers to whatever question arises. I want them to have the skills and interests that will make them happy, healthy, well-rounded and contributing citizens.


While this is clearly not all I want to accomplish in the years my kids are at home with me, I think it is a good overview. I really want to pass on a firm foundation and a passion for learning and the understanding that you don't need to "know" everything, but you do need to know how to find whatever it is you need. In addition to what I wrote I think I really want my children to understand and live out certain character traits: empathy, patience, wisdom, kindness and courage jump to my mind.

How about you? What do you want your kids to know? Please leave your thoughts in the comments area.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment