September 30, 2003

"No I'm Sorry, Someone Must Have Lost a Child... Today included one of those moments every parent dreads. We went coat shopping (in and of itself not a fun event for non-shoppers, and for anyone with three children under 5) and we had a "moment". It was the kind of moment that everyone else's kids have but not your own precious children. Well the more kids you have the more you understand and sympathize with those women who have the child having the moment. Today it was me.

Ciaran, a normally pleasant 2 1/2 year old boy was not so pleasant in the store today. Truth be told he was terrible. We had a screaming, kicking, hitting, throw myself on the floor and you will have to drag me out kind of temper tantrum. Now to fill you in the rest of the picture, I had Sirah in the sling (newborn) and Rhia was by my side. I tried picking him up to which he started hitting and squirming so much I was worried about Sirah so that was not going to work. I had no idea how we were going to get out of this store. By the way this is a calm and quiet store not a real "kid-friendly" place and we were getting lots of blank stares.

A very kind woman who I am indebted to approached me and asked if I needed help. I said "Yes! Truth be told, yes I do. Thank you for asking." She replied with " I understand I have 5 of my own" and she proceeded to pick Ciaran up and ask where my car was and just carried him right there until I opened the door and she put him in. I was so thankful for this kind woman's generosity and understanding. I have no idea how I would have gotten us all out of the store safely otherwise.

So the next time you see a mother or any person in need of help, please go up and ask if they do. Don't think they might be too embarrassed, rather help them resolve the difficult albeit embarrassing situation.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment