February 4, 2004

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Lesson Plan... Today was Ciaran's coop day and it was a small group - just him and one other little girl. But the class went really well - the kids did great and I really enjoyed the lesson. I had originally planned a completely different lesson for four kids and had to adapt to just two kids - so I threw one together at the last minute based on Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

I headed over to DLTK's Printable Crafts and printed out a a coconut tree and some alphabet letters and cut them out. I also got together some of my alphabet materials including two file folder games, a puzzle and the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom book.

When the little girl arrived they played puzzles downstairs for awhile and then we went up and had snack. During snack time I read the book and we sang our ABC song. Then while I cut the printed materials out (I would recommend doing this ahead of time) one girl did this ABC match file folder game with uppercase letters (we have both upper and lower case) and then they glued their coconut trees together and then we reread the book and they each helped a letter up the tree as it appeared in the book and I emphasized the sound (we used lower case letters) until the whole alphabet was up the tree. Then we said "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" and they let all the letters fall out of the tree. It was fun and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

Then we played one more file folder game that I made from old flashcards. I cut pictures and letters to match phonetically. At first I started by asking them to find the picture that corresponded to each letter but I quickly realized at this age it would be far better if they picked up a picture and then we talked about what sound it made and helped them find the letter. They did a great job and then it was time to clean up and head home.

All in all I think this morning was a success. I really enjoy developing relationships for Ciaran in his age group and just letting them have fun while we learn. I also really enjoy spending time with the mothers involved. They are very often an encouragement and an inspiration to me.

Well off to school Rhiannon and play with Sirah.

Peace,
Tenn

No comments:

Post a Comment